Monday, June 14, 2010

Love God. Make Babies.

I leave on Wednesday for a conference with Ligonier Ministries in Orlando. It will be amazing, not simply for the speakers and the vacation, but simply for the fact that it's a private trip of just my dad and me. I rarely get quality time with my dad. To be honest, when we do get it, I'm not sure what to talk about. My dad has never been one of those fathers to approach his children, seek their love or time or conversation. He seeks to be heard rather than to hear. I can't blame him for that; I rather appreciate it, because Lord knows and designed that he has much more worthwhile things to say than I do. But at the same time, I believe fathers SHOULD seek time with their children.


I see so many things being properly executed in my sister Sarah Brown's family. I could have never known that they were proper until I saw them demonstrated by and on her six daughters. Sarah and her husband Tim, a pastor, make it their utmost priority to raise their six daughters in a healthy fear and love of God, teaching them to have a relationship with our Savior. The Brownies (which is what we call my nieces) are six of the most well-behaved, respectful, smart, classy, and beautiful girls I've ever known. Please let me explain. Three of my siblings have children; my oldest brother Michael with two daughters, Sarah with six daughters, and Elizabeth (Biz) with a girl and a boy. It's with no small amount of shame that I admit the Brownies are my favorite. Yet, one day I realized an interesting connection. I love most spending time with the Brownies, followed by Michael's daughters, and lastly Biz's children. "Why is this?" I asked myself, and I analyzed each of my siblings' relationships with their children.

"No, no, Abby, that's the wrong place to start."

How is that the wrong place to start? If my nieces are raised well/poorly, does is not reflect on their parents?

"Of course, smart girl. But even before that, what does a parent's child-rearing reflect upon him or her?"

I don't get it, I told myself.

"Silly face, a parent's raising is directly related to his relationship with God. A parent in good standing with God, a parent whose walk with God is a priority understands the importance of child-rearing. When looked at in light of God's Word, child-raising becomes an issue of stewardship, ministry, obedience to God's commands, and absolute joy. Psalm 37:26 says that children are a blessing to the godly. A blessing."



When did children stop being a blessing and become another job? The same time that a relationship with our Savior become another obligation, reluctantly sought because of guilt and fear of damnation?

Sarah and Tim love their children for the gifts of God that they are. I'm not saying that Biz and Michael and their respective spouses don't. But I note a striking lack of religion in their children's up-bringings. Michael's daughters know, I believe, what the Bible is. They've gone to a Protestant church every Sunday, prayed before meals, and are familiar with (some few) Christian ideas, yet I still see no real stress on religion in their lives aside from attending Sunday school. Biz's children don't know that much. They don't understand prayer, church attendance, God, or anything of the sort. Biz does not actively attend a church with her family or instruct them; her husband, Lord knows, has even less religious involvement. Am I wrong in assuming a weak relationship with God on the parents' part in these cases? Have I incorrectly connected the parents' individual Walks with their influence in raising their children? (I realize now that I have provided no specific qualifications of some to be better than the others, other than my own "who I enjoy being with more." The individual actions and characteristics of my nieces and nephew speak for themselves.) I cannot help but be convinced that a parent's success in child-rearing mirrors his relationship with God. Can I say that enough? If you want good children, if you want children who will bless you more than curse you, love God. Love. God.


I do believe that's the answer to everything. Love God. When we love God, we see things in light of his creation and goodness and law. We see children as a sign of God's covenant, a miracle unique only to humans created in God's image, a representation of stewardship, ministry, obedience in Love to God's Law, and a blessing. When we love God, he blesses us. Love God. Make babies. The rest will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment